Thursday, February 11, 2010

Why Does Love Need A Holiday?

I've always disliked Valentine's Day whether it be because of the chocolate coma leading up to and the let down after, the bitter and cynical nature of my ways since I've never had the conventional Valentine (single's awareness day!), or knowing it's not simple anymore like in elementary school where everyone made a box and everyone received a cute Disney-themed valentine.

Year after year I've watched the mania and over-hype. Husbands and boyfriends freak out about finding a dozen red roses (let alone the price of them) with a box of chocolates or some fancy dinner and weekend getaway. Not to mention, he better propose (how cliche!). Wives and girlfriends expect to be pampered and showered with all of these things and maybe a little extra.

Because....why?

Because that date on the calendar says so? Since when does love include expectations and pressure to outdo last year's surprise?

Honestly, Valentine's Day is a joke and a scam.

Love is not a holiday and there should never be so much emphasis on one day. If someone I'm in love with has to wait an entire year to do all these nice things for me then forget it, don't waste your time (more so mine).

If it's really, truly love then there is no price tag and it is no trouble to surprise me with flowers any old time just because. If it were real then I'd be swept off my feet just by seeing and spending time with him after a long day (of course, a few actual scenarios of "being swept off my feet" wouldn't hurt every now and again).

Real love does not feel obliged to show it on a "holiday." It doesn't demand or expect. And it surely does not take all this effort to show someone they're loved.

Sure, I am a hopeless romantic (who isn't, honestly), but I also know it can't be everyday. If anyone wants to surprise me then do it on a day other than February 14. It would mean so much more to me just as it would to the other person.

If I ever find love, there will be no Valentine's. I want to relax with him all night, have a home cooked meal, and remember why it is I love him.

Really, why do you have to show someone you love them? Isn't looking them in the eye and saying "I love you" enough?

How beautifully simple is that?

Love is the little things. It's simple, kind, and not meant for an over-commercialized holiday (get your stuffed heart bears, candies, and sickening red, white, and pink whatevers...such keepsakes).

The injustice of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment